Thursday, August 11, 2011

Shopping Extravagnaza :-)

Yesterday was shopping day. Thankfully, Jess didn't have her daycare "buddy" so she went along with me.  Our plan was to pick up Mom (I didn't think that would mean literally), head next door to Wal-Mart and go shoe shopping.  I can still just about get Mom into my Expedition alone. I carry a Rubbermaid stool but it now entails a lot of lifting.  It was a lot of work just to go next door.  Next time I think a nice ride over in a wheelchair will be in our plan of attack.  She explained that next time she'd "just walk over but she might have trouble carrying back her packages!!"  Ya think?  She barely makes it down the hall at Walden Place.  When I got home, I was on a mission to acquire a handicapped permit!  I can handle our outings if Jess is along but not so much anymore if I'm alone.  After a few phone calls and learning that the permit is issued to the individual not the vehicle and that a Dr's note is required and that they needed a driver's license # and it should be done in the town in which she physically lives and not her legal address.................I was finally able to secure a permit as a reissue from an original one issued in 2001 in the Town of Locke. I'm absolutely sure that the people I see parking in handicapped spots have not gone through this rigamarole and most are more lazy than handicapped.... although I've entertained hitting them with my car which in turn would probably defeat the purpose as they then might end up really incapacitated!!!! Anyway, I digress......We got Mom loaded in one of the carts with the rear seat......and her knees hit the basket... We fixed that and off she and Jess went to find shoes while I parked the car.  I seriously (not so much) pondered escaping but came to my senses and saw the blatant unfairness to Jess (jk) !!!  When I entered the store.......I heard them.... Mom complaining about Jess's "driving."  We found her shoes..sneakers with Velcro...new socks as we forgot the ones in the car that we'd brought w/ us, a new wastebasket for her room and other unmentionables! Then the entire "get her there" process was begun in reverse.  We delivered her safely to a place"she'd never been before!".. Maybe having each day and moment be a new experience is not such a bad thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment