Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Scrap Happy

You gotta love the Farmer's Almanac. Well, I do anyway.  Today's tip was all about cooking with scraps.  Ann Curry has been in famine ridden Somalia this week and I think some of those sad, emaciated children could survive quite nicely on what I throw away.  One child was 4 years old and at one point recently weighed  only 6 pounds... I can't believe that's even possible.
Here are a few things that the frugal tipsters in "The Farmer's Almanac" kitchen suggest would make wonderful stock for soups and cooking. 
Why throw out what may be the most healthful and flavorful parts of the foods you prepare regularly? Toss them together into the stock pot first to brew up a tasty, nutritious broth that adds a gourmet kick to a soup, stew, chowder, or casserole.
Healthful?
You bet! Potato peelings, for example, concentrate most of the potato’s potassium, a nutrient deficient in many American diets. Onion skins and celery leaves contain lots of the antioxidant/antimicrobial. Bone broths, as well as those simmered from shellfish shells and eggshells, recover many of the minerals that gave them structure and strength.
What goes into the pot?
Besides potato peelings, onion skins, and celery castoffs, use cast-off such as the tough outer leaves of cabbage or lettuce,leek tops, carrot foliage and scrapings, pea and bean shells, broccoli leaves and stems, the pomace left over from tomato processing, the tops and innards of green or red peppers, wilted (but not spoiled or moldy) greens. You can probably think of more.
How to make it
Save a week’s worth of vegetable scraps in a container in the fridge, then make stock on the weekend. Add a bay leaf or two, a handful of your favorite fresh or dried herbs, a few cloves of garlic if you like it, and a little salt (or not). Simmer on the stove top for at least half an hour or in a big ovenproof pot when you’re baking something else. Strain the broth and toss the residues into the compost.
 I was good till we got to the compost part....I'm taking this green thing one step at a time.  I save my cans and bottles (cuz they're worth a nickle), I burn my cardboard (hey, it's less for the landfill) and that's about the extent of my conservation.. Oh I forgot, I often cut back on my waste my making my favorite thing for supper .............A reservation!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment