Tuesday, March 20, 2012

What a difference a day makes...24 little hours .........

Boy was Renee Olstead (the gal who sang this song) right on the money.  As the TV shows often scroll, "24 hours ago"............... Jess and I scooted to Cortland to take Mom to the Dr's for a sore on her leg....waited there an hour and we all decided that she should go to the ER. Mix up in transportation so we loaded her in and headed to the hospital.  No wait..in, registered, had an ER room and Dr. saw us all in about 15 minutes..... That's the end of the Good news!  There we sat (laid) for nearly 7 hours. One of the nurses mentioned that "this was not a good day to come to the ER."  Alrighty, when would be?  Because I'm sure that all heart attacks, strokes, illnesses and accidents are scheduled.  How silly of us to show up on the wrong day. Expecting to have a quick trip in and out of the Dr's office, I was totally unprepared.  I had minimal cash, no reading material, my cell phone was not charged (I had plugged it in over night but that was the only end connected (idiot), I didn't have Mom's insurance cards..(duh, on file at the Dr's) or her med list (what kind of daughter was I?).  You're getting the picture!  Now, Mom wanted nothing to do with any health care...or health care provider.  They took blood (3 vials) after Jess and 2 nurses held her down and she screamed "Help" in her outdoor concert voice.  They then returned to explain that it had hemolized (cells broke down) and they had to take 3 more vials! Jess tried to calm her and Mom's response was "Shut up!"....... I left the room!    Finally after a CT of her leg, that was NOT pretty either, and lying there 4 more hours, they brought her something to eat.  "Oh look Mom, mashed potatoes. Would you like some?"  She shook her head yes and opened wide!!  In went the spoonful of potatoes (or a close facsimile) and out she spat them....a very spontaneous critique of hospital food.  BTW, I look smashing in potatoes!  I did get her to eat all of her ice cream and drink her milk. Thank you dairy industry for identifiably packaged foods!   During this time frame, Jess had to cancel her daycare and get someone to pick up Bailee at school...of course, Papa, Grandma and Mom are the only ones on the pick up list. Finally, pick up was arranged, Bailee's teacher explained to her that it was "Ok" to go with Marcie and we found a ride back home for Jess at 3:30.  When I got home at 7:30, my FB status explained that I was home, exhausted and trying to remember the word that followed cluster.......  (Oh I knew it but I'd already uttered it so many times I would need a loan for the swear jar) Thankfully, my son... who didn't fall far from the tree... was more than happy to provide it for me in written word♥. 
Fast forward to this morning.  (24 little hours).... Arrived at the hospital and Mom was sitting in a chair, bright eyed (kind of) and bushy tailed.  She had managed to remove that pesky IV all by herself and was relatively proud.  She still rambled and made no sense (as usual) but  what most would think was a bad day..... was a wonderful day for us!  Every day is a new normal and we'd better be ready to go with the flow. (Oh yeah, that happened too!)  Dr. will keep her in till the end of the week and hopefully she'll head back home to Walden Place with a Spring in her step and a happier, healthier leg!

No comments:

Post a Comment