Thursday, March 15, 2012

Entrepeneurship.....in 5th grade

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/nebraska-fifth-grader-max-kohll-sent-principal-organizing-114520411.html

You go Max!  You really must check out this story.... I am a fan of sports but most of all I am a fan of kids actually thinking.  Who challenges kids to think?  .......their families and their teachers.  OK, so bracket pools and gambling in general is illegal.  So's jaywalking but everybody does it.  If I were this teacher, (and probably this is why I'm not) I would have seized the moment as a HUGE learning opportunity.  Think of all the things this "group" was learning.  They were learning computer skills, math skills, sports knowledge, geography and entrepreneurship.....Kids aren't punished for operating lemonade stands and I doubt the health inspector has been there to inspect the thermos.  Maybe the actual monetary part of the middle school madness could/should have been substituted with something a little less financial like "free time in class' or a pass on a quiz, etc, but really folks, no harm, no foul.  I dare say the teacher(s) and the staff and faculty and probably a few of the administration have filled out their own brackets.  Remember that children learn what they see....make it a great learning lesson.

Gotta run.... have to make sure all my players have their brackets in by the 11 a.m. deadline ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment