Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Grandma update

Not good...I'm going to vent a bit.. Remember the limbo?  Well that's where I am and I have a few places I'd like the pole to go!  First and foremost, government should stay out of personal decisions.  Secondly, medicare is a bureaucratic comedy act. Thirdly, when you become elderly and ill, you'd better have a damn good advocate, a million bucks, a long term care policy that cost you so much while you were paying for it that when you could do things you couldn't afford to or absolutely nothing but the clothes on your back.  Here's where "we" are today:

Mom is safety restrained and in the hospital
She is ready (yeah right) to be switched to custodial care from acute care...although she has a mystery rash covering her body, can't respond to any commands and has various infections.
There are no beds available in the nursing facility we have chosen AND if there were, it appears it's a NYS law that nursing homes cannot restrain patients and/or receive them if they need be.
There are also no beds available in the hospital's "swing bed unit" (is there a dance theme here or is it just me?) BUT as of tomorrow...she's out of acute care and into custodial care...which is NOT covered by Medicare..(Of course it's not...that's why she's ready for it)
Finally I was able to make the decision that we are at the end of our Walden Place stay:-(  I am sad.... It is a wonderful facility and she was well cared for, entertained and enriched by every single person there.  Never once did I have a concern about her well being in the past 2 years.
Now, she could lie in a bed in a hospital until.............................................! Where is the quality of life that everyone so richly deserves and has earned.....I am not ignorant, she is not destitute and still our combined hands are tied.  This is not a monetary issue BUT nursing homes are about $10K a MONTH...We all know that CNA's do the majority of the daily "work!".  They're not making that kind of money... I understand overhead...we own a business. What I don't understand is... Joe Blow is broke, may have killed someone, may have a drug problem and he needs care....The same bureaucrats who don't want Mom in a safe, care facility softly and safely held in her chair are more than happy to pay 100% of Joe Blow's care! 
Right now, I'm about as bitter as I ever remember being in the last (almost) 60 years!
I can tell you... I will go out with NOTHING! My dues have been paid and Uncle Sam or Uncle Andrew or whomever... is gonna foot the bill.  I don't know much, but I know that! :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment