Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Being Nice

Late again today:-(  Didn't sleep too well and was awakened by 4 tom turkeys 3 feet from my open bedroom window. They obviously didn't realize it was open or they'd have used their "indoor gobble."  Jess offered to go check on Mom and I caught up on a few things this morning.  Today's issue was a possible staph infection.. SH--!  The surgeon was called in to check things out.. Jess waited as long as she could (3 hrs) but had to head home to meet her daycare buddy.  Long story short, she left a message for the surgeon to call me.  I dreaded his call.. for many reasons... I was afraid he would be foreign and I wouldn't be able to understand him. I was worried that he'd be dismissive, which I could remedy face to face, and of course the obvious...that she would need to have a procedure done to drain and culture and they'd need my consent....  He called at 1 p.m. and his wonderfully, understandable, American voice was immediately apologetic that he hadn't met me personally (??)  He said he'd met many Hatfields and had we met?   He spent time with me explaining what he'd done, what to expect and asked about questions I had.  He said he hoped to meet me soon and not to fret.. she was "in pretty good shape for nearly 90!" Holy bedside manner....He was NICE!!!
I felt a little like a judge on "The Voice" listening and waiting to turn my chair.  I have a picture of him in my head and I'm interestingly anticipating meeting him tomorrow.  Most of my experiences in the medical world have not been nice.  I'm hoping to be as pleasantly surprised as I was on the phone.  It really isn't that tough to be nice.  You usually get what you give and this nice surgeon will be greeted by me with a great big helping of nice right back!

No comments:

Post a Comment