Friday, July 19, 2013

Oh Happy Day

Thirty eight years ago we marched across the grass, over the bridge and onto the point (of no return!)  Lots of fun went into this day.  We ran the well dry @ Overbrook watering the grass,. We reinforced the basement walls to support the crowd of people that never went inside, we begged the neighbor to allow parking on his adjacent, empty, overgrown lot, we were the very first wedding ever performed by Rev. Dave Borthwick and he actually wrote the ceremony for his thesis, we had a lovely reception at the Cork and Fork (Fillmore Golf Course) where I was actually kidnapped by a small group of close, male friends..(while Lee was (wo)manhandled by their female counterparts), we spent a bit of time at Glenview while my parents were entertaining our guests on the hill and we stopped at my grandfather's house each exiting in separate cars as he vociferously explained that he knew it wouldn't last!!!  Well Gramp, his hair eventually all fell out, my butt expanded beyond size 12 and a few other numbers, we raised two pretty, cool kids, we have an amazing granddaughter (much like the one you had), we lived in and loved the house you built for 32 years, we built a beautiful new home (still in the area), we never went broke, I have honored my Mother and Father as you always professed and we have managed to stay together (legally) for 38 years and illegally for the 3 preceding that!!!  Thanks to you, I still hate cigars though and will allow no one to smoke in my car, my home or anywhere around me. I continue extol the virtues of cloth napkins and manners and we have exorcised the notion that old Grandpas are always grumpy!!
                               Happy Anniversary to my favorite old grandpa, Leroy....hmmmm....isn't that interesting that his nickname is Leroy too!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment