Thursday, July 4, 2013

Independence...

Independence is a wonderful thing and I for one take it for granted. I have always been one to do what I want, when I want, where I want and pretty much with whom I want.  Some call that spoiled! I call it being independent and extremely lucky.  But I often forget how deep my good fortune extends.  I am able to be independent because of my husband, my Dad, my Great Grandfather and those that secured that right 237 years ago.  I was never a big history buff but as you age you sometimes find a new appreciation for things that seemed mundane but required.  I've never been one to do things because I had to (without a bit of dissension) but rather because I wanted to... There's that darn spoiled thing again! The older I get, the more appreciation and respect I have for my independence.  We really don't live in a world of independence on the smaller scale.  So many seem to be dependent others.  Nothing is ever our fault anymore....we often throw ownership of our shortcomings to others. I guess maybe it's time we all realize that this independence thing is also our responsibility.  It's up to us to raise the next generations with the same thankfulness we were taught.  It's up to us to see that we teach the right thing by example.  I guess if we're to remain truly independent it's up to us remember that we have a duty to live in such a manner that those who secured that freedom would be proud.
We're ALL really good takers.....Maybe we should begin again to be really good givers, be thankful for what we have, share if we're able and live lives that leave really good examples for generations to come...Independence may not be a "right" after all...it may be a reward!

                                              HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY my Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment