Thursday, October 4, 2012

Debates

I often wished our high school was large enough to have sustained a debating team.  There was little for us frustrated teenage girls to do way back then.  Title 9 hadn't come to fruition so sports were limited to intramurals and then, unless you were lucky enough to be a roving forward, you couldn't cross the center line....I'm not kidding kiddos...if you think that's not pretty, you should have seen our gym suits:-0 ( a story for another day).  We could sing in the chorus, be a member of band, or even be a Future Homemaker of America (the original FHA.)  I could carry a tune, I played the clarinet until the reed got caught in my braces and my Home-Ec teacher ,Mrs. O'Connell, made me turn the skirt I was making into a pillow! But, if there had been a debating team, I'd have signed on the dotted line.  My family (then and now) would attest to the fact that I could argue about almost anything.  Today, they call it bitching but I know I would have been a damn fine debater.

I did watch just a little snippet or two from last night's presidential debate.  I saw some excerpts this morning and I took in the 4 minutes of closing statements. My conclusions are: they both looked relatively handsome in their dark suits and respective red/blue ties, they both had some facts, some substance and some ideas and they both have lovely families.  However; Mr. Romney should probably work a bit harder toward becoming a roving forward and Mr. Obama should pack it in and turn his skirt into a pillow.

It worked for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment