Sunday, September 2, 2012

Sounds of Sunday



 
I don't generally pen my blog on week-ends...My gray matter needs a couple days off each week to regenerate..(I wish)... but this morning, as I was sitting on our front porch, I listened....to the wonderful sounds of Sunday.  The local, annual car show is today so I was treated to a show all my own and the sounds that drove them past the house... the hum of the classics and the putt-putt of the antiques....  A bit nostalgic if not sad, when I'm closer in age to the antiques:-(  When there was a lull in the parade, I could hear the far away sounds of hammers on Oak Hill where the Rieks family is building a new barn.  I could see, in my mind, all the family pitching in on a wonderful project that will stand for tens of years!  A little farther up the hillside, the guns were vollying at the Mark Strongs (I think) where a little target practice may have preceded the Sunday trap shooting.  When quiet resumed, I could hear the announcer from the car show at Fillmore Glen rolling up through the valley.  Today could be my lucky day...Lee finally decided to move an old "project car" from the shop parking lot to the Glen for a possible sale...I call it urban renewal! Right here at EIEIO, I am listening to the fowl sounds from the Walnut Grove.  A couple of hens are making that painful sound of egg laying....I keep hollering over, "Breathe, this contraction will pass!"  Dufus is still taking crowing lessons from Steve Harvey.  He tries so hard to give out a big, boisterous cock a doodle do like Steve's but still falls short. A pileated woodpecker is searching for breakfast bugs in the trees behind me. I marvel at his jungle-like call. I feel a little guilty sitting on the porch, drinking coffee in the warm sunshine but then I figure.."What the hell. I'm 60 and this was on my bucket list. Good for me!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment