Thursday, September 13, 2012

Daisy, Daisy give me your answer do........

"Yes, I want to be a girl scout!"  Last night Bailee signed up for girl scouts...She'll begin her girl scout "career" as a Daisy Scout.  Don't think we had Daises in the 50's but maybe I've forgotten.......... What were we talking about? :-)  Oh girl scouts..... I think I began as a Brownie...I remember getting my first uniform and thinking I was just too cool for school.  I loved the crafts and activities and the badges we'd receive.  I think that was my first foree' into earning.  It was even before allowance and way cooler! I don't remember my leaders in Brownies but I sure remember my Scout leaders....They were awesome.. Sharon Hess Ettinger and Ginnie Baylor Moore.  Talk about cool!!!!  I even still have the little girl scout suitcase that I got as a birthday present one year.  I gave it to Bailee yesterday... The scout pictured on the front was wearing a pretty funky uniform and I could see that she was hoping hers would be a little snazzier.. I'm thinking they've made a few improvements over the past 55 years!  I'm sure there are badges for technology and preventing global warming...all things that were only seen during an episode of the Jetsons back in the day. I'm sure they're still helping to promote respect and responsibility and the basics are still in tact.  It will be fun watching her grow in this little sorority of sisterhood. In rural areas, other than school functions, groups like 4-H, church and scouts are pretty much their intro into the social world. Nothing better than a wholesome start and she'll be a good Scout.....I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment