Friday, April 20, 2012

A walk, with my ears, down Memory Lane

I'm not usually one to wait till the last minute.. but , with a little help from my friends & Jess, I've figured out the perfect gift for a 90 year old with dementia... not an easy feat!
I purchased an MP3 player and a headset and we're going to load it with songs I think Mom would love.  Her dad used to sing Dark Town Strutter's Ball to her and she in turn to me, so that has earned the opening tune spot. Mares Eat Oats was a favorite as was Onward Christian Soldiers. Mom has a great ear for a beat (she played the drums in high school) but can't carry a tune, no way, no how!!  We'd go to church and all be excited when Onward Christian Soldiers was on the bulletin for the hymn. It was a favorite of hers and she'd belt it out like she was Ella Fitzgerald singing on Sunday in Harlem. After the first verse, we'd all look at my brother, he'd nod and we'd STOP singing....Mom would continue and boy did she turn heads.... ours were bowed in shameless humor!!  We always would sing together when we "Sang along with Mitch" Miller.  One of our favorites was "Ramblin Wreck from Georgia Tech!"  I still have the albums and Bailee and I belt out tunes now that she reads so well... all the lyrics were included with the albums.  Show tunes from South Pacific, West Side Story and Sound of Music will be downloaded too.  Glenn Miller (my fav too) and Jimmy Dorsey will make the hit parade as well as Johnny Mathis and Andy Williams.  To finish up, there'll be some old standbys like You are my Sunshine, Blueberry Hill and My Bonnie lies over the Ocean.  Last but not least will be- I Believe.... That was my brother Steve's Graduation Song and the song sung at his funeral...  I believe she'll love her birthday gift!!!! Happy 90th Mom ♥♥

No comments:

Post a Comment