Thursday, April 26, 2012

RIF

Yep, reading IS fundamental..... Last night Bailee and I were reading the BIG book of Dr. Seuss.. She is such a good reader... no monotone for her and if she gets to a word she doesn't know, she sounds it out and goes back to read the sentence again.  I explained to her how proud I was of her reading ability and why!  "You read so well Bailee because you read with inflection."  "Infection?..no, inflection."  "Projection...no inflection..." Injection?..no INFLECTION.....Oh....inflection...what's that mean?" She heeds the punctuation, adjusts her tone for situational changes and even modifies her voice for character changes.  What 5 year old does that? Yes, yes I'm bragging... deal about it or move on!!

It's a joy for me as I love to read.  Neither Jeff nor Jess enjoyed reading:( That was a bummer for me. I am content no matter where I am if I have a book. I think girls enjoy reading more than boys..which is a shame but understandable.  If you dislike reading or struggle with it....everything is an uphill battle. If reading isn't your thing, than neither is writing or math word problems or history or...........anything. Jeff was a good listener.  I remember in early elementary school he would write sentences and end them with tiny triangles.... Finally his teacher questioned him... His reply, "I thought you said we had to end a sentence with a pyramid!!!!"   OK, maybe he wasn't such a good listener:-(
I'm glad that Bailee is an avid reader! Today's world of technology can be a blessing or a curse. TV and video games can be a nasty diversion but also kindles, leap frog devices and nooks can be amazing tools. The world is at their fingertips, literally!
   And I say with inflection... reading is FUNdamental..  Way to go Miss B!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment