Thursday, April 12, 2012

Fine Line

An arrest in the shooting of Trayvon....Did the media and the vocal minority (now majority) leave room for anything less?  I have so many mixed feelings.....I guess my most feared is the fact that the line between justice and the law is so very fine.  There are lots of discussions about guns, who has them, who should have them, what's their ultimate purpose and the laws surrounding them. I know guns don't kill people, people do but it's all about the fine line.... If someone's breaking into my house I can shoot them..legally (we all know they're safer than in church with me behind the trigger).  And the the jokes about shooting them outside then dragging them in abound.  Self defense is big.
I also strongly believe that racism is alive and well....racial profiling is still prolific and stereotyping will continue for eternity.  I have a son who has a sleeve....( an armful of tattoos) and I believe, no finer a young man... He works hard, he's not afraid to show he loves his parents and his family, he's loyal and he looks different than a college preppy who might very well be a serial killer .....and the last to be pursued for crimes.
I have absolutely NO clue what the answer is and our lifetime won't provide one.  I do know that Trayvon will never have the opportunity to be anything more than a teenager in a hoodie....that's a shame.  Whether or not he was up to something or had been a less than stellar student is pretty much irrelevant..especially if you're his Mom.  I think she has shown an acute sense of decency and is quite articulate. She will also forever have a hole in her heart.  Where to draw that darn fine line:'(  

No comments:

Post a Comment