Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Germ Warfare.......

I spend the majority of my day in my den.  In my den is my TV, TiVo, old fashioned record player (yes, one that plays vinyl records), my printers, modem, router, computer, large leather recliner, Bailee's table and book shelf and "my" desk... ( a prized possession that belonged to my Dad, his Dad and his Dad (who was also a state senator).  It's called a partner's desk as it's large enough to be used by 2 people. It's equipped with multiple drawers on both sides facilitating file and office supplies and any other need that may arise. I'm assuming this type of desk is intended for 2 male users as I, being female, have filled all 21 drawerers and most of the surface.  I inherited this desk after my Dad passed away and have since used it in my Locke home and now in our new home. Yesterday, as I was hunting for a particular paper on my desk, I found an article that explained what else was lurking somewhere on my desk..............Your desk contains 400 times more germs than a toilet !
Gross, huh? Well, I am just getting warmed up. The skin sheds ten million cells a day. Many of these get transported by our hands onto keyboards, push buttons for telephones, faxes and photocopiers. EEEeeewww
When you use your computer (or someone else's) and then unwittingly put your hand in your mouth without realizing it – you’re effectively eating dead skin. EEEEeeeewwww...I'm quite thankful that only my family uses my computer :-0
The office desk is an ideal breeding ground for bacteria, which feast all day on leftover crumbs from desktop diners, and peak in number after lunch. The desktop effectively becomes a “bacteria cafeteria”. EEEEEeeeeewwww I usually eat at least one meal (or snack) at my desk......
Cold and flu viruses can survive for up to 3 days on surfaces such as telephones, desktops, photocopiers, printers and other high-touch surfaces.Germs transmitted from a sneeze or cough can travel up to 3 feet. Also, only 17% of Americans wash their hands after shaking hands — yet 51% wash them after sneezing or coughing. It’s part of the misconception that germs are spread in the air rather than by hand contact. Kissing transmits far less germs than shaking hands!!! ♥
Today I cleared my desk, cleaned it with warm water, lysoled it, lysoled it again and the swept the floor for any "dead skin" I may have inadvertently brushed on the floor....somehow walking in dead skin doesn't trip my trigger any more than eating it does!  I have decided though that I may indulge in more kissing and less handshaking....I have an interview tomorrow morning with a reporter from the Cortland Standard who's doing a piece on Alzheimers and Walden Place.  Won't he be surprised when he wals in, extends his hand..... and I kiss it!.... (you just never know:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment