Tuesday, May 10, 2011

My Flock


Sadly, I lost another member of my flock yesterday:-(  Gary Grosbeak bit the dust...or should I say glass.  I heard the thump from my den and went to investigate. Nothing there so I figured it was maybe just an aborted take off.  A few before him have crashed landed, regained consciousness and resumed their flight.  When Bailee arrived, she came running for me to go see the bird.  There by the walk door laid Gary...no miraculous recovery for this grosbeak.  Unfortunately, really the only times to get a closeup, still look at the birds and their beauty is when you have them in hand.  I knew that Gary had some beautiful red on his breast but had no idea that under his wings was more beautiful color.  I do my very best to give them all a safe habitat. I provide good food, fresh water, shrubs for safety and an unobstructed area for take offs and landings.  I even go so far as to purposely NOT keeping my windows sparkling clean (yeah right) to avoid crashes. They all know they're perfectly safe, including the cow birds and starlings that grab a snack and a chuckle knowing their safety is assured as well. (They've seen me shoot).  So today we mourn the loss of another feathered friend and hope that bird heaven is welcoming Gary home.  I may have to give in and place a few decals on the wall of windows to let them all know that runway October Tango is closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment