Thursday, May 9, 2013

The art (and value) of observation!

Observation is an activity of a living being, such as a human, which is necessary in order to receive knowledge of the world or about the environment through the senses, which often later involves the recording of data via the use of scientific instruments. The term may also refer to any data collected during this activity. ( I know...what's with all this dictionary crap?)


A woman's power of observation is a must.... and is completely opposite of the power of a man's...in fact I believe a man's observational powers may be near extinction.  Let me give you two personal observations of my own.

Recently, I rearranged some furniture and moved some larger objects in our great room.  No comment from my dear husband........................still... to date!      The other day I cleaned a cupboard and moved the scotch a fraction of an inch.  "Who the hell moved the booze, he quizzed?"  Case in point!

Yesterday, he came home and remarked, " You got your done!!"...  Yes, yes I did get my hair cut and permed................LAST FRIDAY.   He arrived home the other day and said, "How's my hair look?" I calmly questioned, "Which one?"  He appeared irked at my lack of observation and my curt reply.. Whatever!

He can spot a woodchuck in a field 1/2 a mile away but he can't see that the drawer remains open where he just removed the knife and the cupboard door's unclosed from removal of the peanut butter.

I think it could be terminal.  I'm not sure if there's medication or even a remote possibility of a cure.  I hear it gets more serious with age but there may be a glimmer of hope to slow the progression. I'm thinking if I remove the remote, the toilet paper and that scotch, his powers of observing may heighten. Once his brain begins to accept that things are different (or changing), he may soon notice more subliminal things such as overflowing trash, missing meals and dirty laundry. I know it sounds harsh but at this stage, tough love is a must.  If it gets to the point where he misses a red light, an oncoming car or a deer in his headlights, the environment through his senses will change.  I'd hate to have him miss the all the wonderful things yet to come....for real!

No comments:

Post a Comment