Friday, May 3, 2013

Game ----On

I swore I'd never be one of those who spent countless hours playing games on their phones (or tablets or computers.)  First of all I didn't really understand most of the old video games and I always thought it was well..nerdy!   Old dog...new tricks.  I have a bit of a routine now....morning household chores, breakfast club, post office/banking, check Face Book, email and snail mail. (bathroom is usually stuck in there somewhere between b-fast club and email..I know TMI)  Next I go head to head on YDKJ (you Don't know Jack.) I managed to hit the top of the leader board twice.....once having Jeff at the bottom....that made my day!!!  Then, throughout the day, I might throw in a couple games of Millionaire and Pyramid.  After supper and dishes are in the bag, I settle into my chair to take my turns at Words with Friends, DrawSome and Scramble.  Jeff turned me on to 4Pics 1 Word.  That one teases my brain a little too much sometimes but I actually did 354 puzzles before screaming for help from my FB pals.  At the last Gal's Lunch, a friend said she was hooked on Candy Crush. There's one I thought was kind of goofy but thought I'd try it anyway.  Last night, at 11:45, I was curled up in bed begging for (another) my life.  Not in the good old carnal way but in the land of you've lost your friggin' mind way.  I was trying hard to achieve (no, not that) level 17 and I just could not get all the ingredients to the bottom.  God knows I had tried until I was lifeless:-(  I begged for my friends to throw me a "lifeline' and they did.....I still didn't reach my goal. 
It's a fact. I'm hooked!  If there's a silver lining in this playbook, it's the article I read yesterday about brain exercise.

                   Extend the Life Of Your Mind With Brain Fitness 

 


It is obvious that as we age, so too does our appearance, physique and endurance. One area that does not have to take quite as rapid of a plummet is our mind, but brain fitness is crucial to extend the life of our mind. By taking care of yourself and your mental muscles, you can stay as sharp as a whistle. Alzheimer's has become more and more common with people as they age. Sadly, it is a disease that can be prevented by many simply by staying conditioned mentally. There is no denying the fact that simple exercises and consistently training your brain can enhance its capabilities and overall life. Alzheimer's is a disease that destroys brain cells and drastically affects ones memory, thinking and behavior. To many people's surprise, it is also the seventh leading cause of death in the nation. And scarily, the death rate is only increasing with many experts predicting 11 to 16 million individuals 65 and older will have the disease by the year 2050.There is no current cure for the disease, but it is well known that actively participating in brain fitness workouts and exercises can delay or completely deter the disease from coming on. The phrase "use it or lose it" certainly applies to this situation as the neural pathways and connections in our brains must be worked out. Mental training boosts our brain power and countless studies back this up. Brain fitness workouts can and will keep our minds sharp over the years. Anything from challenging and interactive games to consistent ready of challenging material can increase the agility of our brain.
                                      Now, if you'll excuse me, it's my move!!

No comments:

Post a Comment