Friday, February 10, 2012

Tough Love.....

Tough love..second amendment style.  This you-tube video went viral pretty quickly and I like it.  I wasn't thrilled with the cigarette in hand but the message was pretty "spot on!"  Somehow during this 21st century we (parents), have lost a bit of our edge.  It seems our offspring have been barraged with all the ammunition they need to excuse their behavior and ignore our rules.  This gal thought it would be funny to vent and place her personal rantings on her Face Book page. Obviously she never got the memo or heard the discussions on "what you place on the Internet is there forever for everybody to see anytime".... ie: friends, parents, college administrators, prospective employers, etc.  In this video reply, this particular Dad, loaded with I.T. knowledge, and his 45, found a letter addressed basically to him. His lovely daughter vented about chores she was expected to do and what a persecuted life she lived in their home.  Poor Baby!
In the end.... he fittingly exterminated the tool she had used to impugn her folks and most likely impede her college acceptance hopes and maybe even future or present (if she ever got motivated enough to look for one) job opportunities.  It was all pretty southern and maybe a bit crass but he got his point across.  It reminded me of a story from Jess's college days or should I say DAY!  We had her all settled in at Cobleskill. Culinary Arts was her major. She was just the right distance from home and things were good.  Her stay was short....her roommate was less than desirable and a few gals were making life pretty hard for her.... Long story short......very short.......home she came. After being home a few days, she came to me and asked if I wanted to buy her laptop...............I swallowed several times, bit my lip and explained....in my ever so calm parental way that I already purchased her laptop ONCE and how the weather might need to be for me to ever purchase it TWICE.  She understood and therefore it was unnecessary for her Dad to shoot her laptop. Our northern skills are maybe a wee bit more sophisticated than this southern Dads but the empathy is there and we're betting this teenager turned the corner....even if she still has a broom in her hand
http://youtu.be/vUpOABtY_nE

No comments:

Post a Comment