Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Jo, Java,Coffee......

No matter what you call it, it appears, this week anyway, that coffee is good for you!  There are now at least 5 good reasons to drink at least 2-3 cups in the morning....
  1. It may lower your risk of dementia! Researchers believe the antioxidant properties of coffee may work to reduce vascular forms of dementia.
  2. For men at least, it cuts your chance of Parkinson's Disease by 25%!!!Researchers aren't sure what the protective mechanism at play is, or even whether it's the caffeine or other protective compounds that are behind the benefit.
  3. It slashes your risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes! Coffee is thought to improve the body's tolerance to glucose by speeding metabolism and improving insulin tolerance
  4. Counters cancerous cell damage : Coffee contains hundreds of chemical compounds -- among them antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds that can decrease markers for the damaging process of inflammation.
  5. It may buffer depression! Nobody's sure, but one theory is that coffee drinking causes a short-term boost to energy and mood.
I would say they are 5 pretty good reasons to perk a pot (or drip or stop at the local coffee shop) and give your body the well deserved wake up call it yearns.  If you don't like coffee, I'm sure that tea or cola or maybe even chocolate will help the cause.  After all...it has to be the caffeine that does the trick.  I send my poor body so many mixed messages a day, it doesn't know to sh-- or get off the pot.  I have caffeinated coffee in the morning, caffein free diet soda during the day and a dose of chocolate syrup on my 10:00 ice cream. My sugar's fine, I don't shake yet, I've passed my yearly "tests", I still remember what my keys are for and I'm pretty happy....So far, so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment