Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Heart(y) List...

You know I love lists so I can't not read the list of 29 things to do to make your heart healthy.  One a day for the month of February... I can do this I thought!  So I'll run down the first half for you today.... See what you can do, can't do or already have done!  It's pretty simple actually.... (and interestingly enough...women are more prone to heart disease than men)....I think it's because they actually use their hearts more and it wears it out quicker trying to love everyone and keep the whole gang happy!!!!
Here we go: (remember only one a day for the month of February...you do get an extra because it's leap year)
  1. Get a mat and begin doing yoga -      This probably isn't gonna work for me!
  2. Make over your breakfast-  I should switch from my usual bacon or sausage to oatmeal.. I can do this...
  3. Get ready for bed....by turning off all electronic gadgets and relaxing and unwinding before you try to sleep -  I will do this.....many nights I go to bed and my head is spinning with thoughts....
  4. Screen your friends- no it doesn't mean to check your calls or defriend pals on FB.. it means get a group together and have your BP checked.. this could be fun if we ........went to Target!!!
  5. Show some Super Bowl spirit - Learn some football or team fight songs... Singing, out loud, 2 songs can lower your blood pressure by 25% (which is needed as ref's usually raise it by 50%.
  6. Write to safe a life -  Leave your FB status as..Don't ignore heart health symptoms..OK, I can do that one
  7. Change your oil - Go from veg. or corn oil to canola or olive oil...I did that last year!
  8. Make someone's day - Give a compliment and you'll feel better too.. Yepper!
  9. Hop on your feet - They say fold your clothes, balance your checkbook or pay bills standing up.... WTH??  Your heart feels better but now your back aches!
  10. Reach for nuts - EEEeeeeewww!  Oh, unsalted nuts of all kinds are rich in substances that block cholesterol... Oh man..UNSALTED!!!
  11. Revamp your pantry - Substitute 5 things in your pantry (cupboards) that are high in sugar with no or low sugar content.... Doable
  12. Have a good laugh -30 minutes of laughing can boost heart health for 24 hrs...by opening up arteries and reducing your BP...   No problem
  13. Get in touch w/ Nature- Got that covered too!!!!
  14. Take a class - CPR, etc or at least read a pamphlet about this life saving knowledge
  15. Get a precise reading - learn your 4 heart numbers - BP, BMI, cholesterol and blood glucose! BP's ok, cholesterol is fair, sugar is ok and BMI (body mass index).......is large a number :-) ???
OK, that takes care of the first 2 weeks in February...  I can see me accomplishing most of these... Way easier than a diet or exercise class and some things that will actually help....  Some are already done.... now to scratch the bacon and eat an unsalted nut...Yuck!

No comments:

Post a Comment