Thursday, March 31, 2011

My Social Network

Last Saturday night I finally took the time to sit down and watch "The Social Network".  At first I thought, "this is way too fast and complicated for little, old me"  In the first 5 minutes, the main character Mark Z, speaks very fast and gives you a huge glimpse of his personality as well as his IQ....both of which I had trouble relating to.  After the initial first scene, you begin to acclimate yourself to the pace of the movie and the flashbacks intertwined. (Generally I dislike any semblance of flashbacks in either movies or books but I got the relevance and "dealt about it" (Baileeism). I'm still not sure what Zuckerburg's intentions were as the website began to form in his amazing brain.  Knowing little about the technology itself, they lost me at algorithm...but I continually reminded myself that this was nonfiction.. that kept me focused. I love a true success story.. (Maybe that's why I like Donald Trump so much.... it certainly has nothing to do with his mouth or hair....!!). I did learn, and I probably knew anyway, that good looks, a fancy suit and social skills      are not prerequisites for success. Ala..Mark Zuckerburg.  The man even wore his pajamas to a business meeting...on purpose and with a purpose.. it worked!  Long story short, Z is my man....My Social Network, Face Book makes my day (and often my night. Which, in itself, is a sad commentary for my social life outside my den.  As I've professed before, I ♥ it!  I have connected and reconnected with friends that I didn't even know were friends.  I think the number one thing I love most about FB is it's ability to put us all on a level playing field.  We all have the same issues we worry about, the same things that give us joy, the same hardships to battle and the same longing for the best we can be for the time that we're here. I am amazed that our commonalities are so much more than our differences and that it really IS possible to see the good in everybody and overlook what we might have once thought wasn't up to snuff.  I've connected with cousins that I haven't seen in 40 years. They're amazing!  It does make me a little sad that we missed that time but our connections are still viable.... Our parents and grandparents and great grandparents would be (or are) tickled shitless!!! I think one of the greatest assets of FB is not knowing what everybody thinks at every moment or what they did last night or even how far they ran or how much money they saved.... It's the genuine compassion and caring that every Friend really has.  We noticed that last week with Lee's heart issue.... Absolutely overwhelming!  Along with the concern came the knowledge that others have been where you are and made out just fine.... Not that's friendship!

No comments:

Post a Comment