Wednesday, March 30, 2011

C=T and G=D (not anymore)



I can understand a southern drawl and I can understand a few words of French ( I did ace French in high school but that was over 40 years ago). I'm Dora fluent in Spanish and I can understand a Foster Brook's drunken stupor. I cannot understand  the techs from Dell  (India) and I have a great deal of difficulty understanding political rhetoric. I CAN however understand Bailee.  I am Dama (Grandma) and if I can't guess something she's telling me, she'll happily give me a talue (clue). Her Mom was always fluent in "Balinese" and I learned it quite quickly.  Once you remembered that her hard C's and K's were T's and her hard G's were D's, you grasped the language quicker than igpa atinla.....That was just the way it was and you just had to "deal about it!".......................until Monday.  As is their daily routine, promptly Monday at 11a.m., in came Bailee announcing what she had done in CLASS that morning.....................Not T-Lass but Class..Well I'm not sure if I just needed a pick me up, some good news or I'd won the lottery but the reaction was the same. Lots of Who Hoo's, High Fives and Hugs and Kisses.... along with about 20 "Say it Agains".  After over 2 years of weekly speech therapy, those guttural sounds had finally escaped their hiding place.  You probably all think I'm over- reacting but this was a milestone....right up there with rolling over, walking, losing your first tooth, sleeping in a big girl bed and no more diapers!  This was no easy process and this little girl worked for every C,K and G she had gotten.  Her speech Therapist Angela, has been so impressed with her sticktuitiveness (yes that's a word, if only mine). Most 2, 3, and 4 year olds don't have the willpower and attention span to work at anything, especially those without a tangible goal. Not our Miss B...she worked for it and she got... that would be got not dot.  She was so excited when yesterday the G sound arrived when she was reading her book and she read gloves and not dloves.  She's a reading fool and she and Papa enjoy their story time.  We worked on "Grandpa" but we think she'll be sticking with Papa. 
                    What a big Girl you are Miss B.....as you always say, "I tan be anything I want when I drow up"
Wait just a minute.... I think that's, "I CAN be anything I want when I GROW up!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment