Monday, September 27, 2010

Business vs. Sports

If you're not a sports fan, click the X and say good bye.  You probably would have no interest, vested or otherwise, about today's rant of choice.
Braylon Edwards, a member of the New York Jets, my team of choice for this year, decided to go out last Monday night and have a bit of libation...I have no problem with that.  Is 5 a.m. a little late to be going home, probably. Is drinking and driving a very poor choice, absolutely.  Should one of the other teammates he was with have driven, probably not! Should this be any business of Rex Ryan, Woody Johnson or even the NFL?...I vote , "No!"  Now, calm down and listen to my rationale....or my opinion is maybe a better word.  Here's my school of thought.  NFL football is a business!  That happened when collective bargaining and unions entered the picture,  That happened when players were offered millions of dollars to play 16 games (and I use the word game, lightly). That happened when the leagues began to generate a profit.  Coaches were hired to recruit men that would generate profit by winning the games.  They weren't hire to babysit, or turn boys into men, to make them polite, use the correct utensils and speak clearly when interviewed. They were hired to WIN FOOTBALL GAMES.  They made rules....OK, but in Braylon Edwards case, nothing was set in stone.  It was up to Rex Reed how he should be punished for his poor judgement.  As Rex said, "One play is enough for me. I was hired to win games and he helps."
When I was on our local Board of Education,  our superintendent was arrested for exactly the same lack of judgement. In the end, basically it was not our job to punish the man. There were no rules in his contract that said you will not drink, use drugs or carry a weapon while employed by this school district and obviously no consequences listed if the aforementioned happened.  If we wanted to take on that task, the wording would have been there.  Even a contract can't include every instance that could arise.
If Mr. Edwards were a college student playing football, my argument would be 360.  He was not!  In fact, I'm a firm believer that you can't fix stupid. It's even difficult to manage stupid, especially in a world where you can make over a million dollars per game.......Now that's stupid!
The Jets played and won a great game last night. Would they have won without number 17 in the line up?  Who knows, but they certainly wouldn't have had anything to talk about! I don't think it's anybody's BUSINESS!

No comments:

Post a Comment