Friday, May 30, 2014

Wrong!

Happily, I was wrong. (write that down)  I meandered over to Eagle Point last night...grasping at the hope that I was wrong and the eaglets had yet to fledge.  A grown ass woman yearning for her nest to still be occupied...pathetic. I barely made it there as the fields were plowed yesterday in preparation for planting and my "roadway" by the bean field had been turned over.  I bounced my golf cart and it's cargo across the furrows and came to rest in my "spot!"  I saw something move...........then I saw a beautiful white head and yellow beak....then more movement from the bowl of the nest.....then a big wing waved to me.... Woo Hoo...they're still home!  I think they had been bedded down and more to the north in the nest the past few times I had checked.  I had not seen an adult either so was sure they had either fallen out or fledged....Our cousin Kay had alerted me to a PBS show about Eagles a few nights ago and they had alluded to the fact that fledging isn't usually until about 10 weeks....We still had a couple to go by my predictions.  Anyway.... One seemed to be hunkered down in the nest but the other slowly appeared to be working on wing stretches.  That one actually stood on the east side of the nest (away from me) with it's back to me and on the edge..... I thought, "Oh my he's gonna jump!"  He didn't!! Whew....  I was there till dusk (8:30) and the nest quieted again.  I'm heading there again at lunchtime to see what I can see. I know they're anxious and ready to go but I'm not quite ready for them to leave.
I have gotten some good information from Cornell on different cameras to buy.  I'll solicit some help from my techy nephew Jamie this week-end and see what we can muster up for the fall.  They say that September is the time to get the cameras up as Millard and Abigail will return to the next to remodel and solidify it for the winter and early spring. Eggs can be laid as early as early March. I'm willing to throw in the $ and NYSEG is willing to help me get the camera up.  Two big hurdles right there... I may have to ask my nature friend David if he'd climb the tree this summer and help us decide placement.  He's like a monkey and would be a huge help... He just climbed a tree to scope out a crow's nest.........and lived!
I'm heading to Eagle Point now then back to examine some pileated woodpecker holes.... Supposedly they're rectangular....we shall see...  This bird thing is exhausting :-)
Mom ( I think)

Mom on the left, one baby lying down and one sitting up on the right

NO!!!!! please don't go!

The nest is as wide as the photo... think were all behind the leaves when I thought they were gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment