Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Bird Brain(ed)

Probably scattered-brained is more like it.  With all the nest analogies lately, it seems birds are on the top of my interest list the last few weeks.  I'm enamored with "my" baby eaglets, ugly as they are.  When the wind is whipping, I'm sure they're going to lift a wing and be carried away by the currents.  Millard and Abigail are always right there to lend a talon but I'm nervous.  This morning we had a young barn swallow teetering on the edge of a porch post while adults were swooping in and out. At first, I wasn't sure what kind of bird it was and thought they were attacking...As much as I profess my birding skills, I'm really just a bird brain. After identifying the little beauty, I wasn't so worried.  I also never realized what a beautiful bird they are... possibly because I turn into Tippi Hedren the minute one swoops toward me. (Ok, youngsters...she starred in Alfred Hitchcock's, The Birds.)  After my bird ID session, I looked out toward the feeders and there was a beautiful Baltimore oriole.....another guest on my bucket list.  Only one other fleeting time has one stopped by to dine.  Jess, in the village no less surrounded by 101 cats, has had FOUR of them at her feeders. I immediately headed to town and now have a nice, juicy orange waiting for his return.  I hope he brings friends!!!!  I have yet to see any bluebirds here but I'll bet they're hiding somewhere. The hummingbird feeder is up and they have some exercise equipment this year too... A little swing to enjoy while they watch over the feeder.  I expect them any day.  I'm pretty thankful that my feathered friends continue to drop by.  Who'd have thought that one could glean so much pleasure from listening and watching the



                                                                           birds!!


No comments:

Post a Comment