Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Living in the "Hood"

Most folks profess a desire to return to their childhood.  Things were easier, responsibilities were less, drama was lacking, fun was abundant and misery was unfounded. OK, maybe..... personally, I prefer adulthood.  Not that my childhood was not good because I think, for the most part, it was fine. I lived in a nice home, had a great summer lake house, traveled to Florida or Southern Pines for vacations, had good parents, an awesome older brother and an older sister.  We had dogs and an occasional kitten. We celebrated holidays and had traditions. I just don't recall all that much that was .......well memorable for the lack of another adjective.  I'm not sure if I remember things because they were unforgettable or because my Mom took lots of pictures and I memorized them.  Now, I think that's kind of sad.  I'm not really sure why it just seems kind of blah.  It may well be that it was just uneventful (in a good way) and that I was just lucky.  I do have lots of little things that were special to me.  Maybe everyone's childhood was like that.
If I had to choose the part of my life that has been the best, I'd definitely choose adulthood.  That's my kinda hood!  I think part of it is because I'm just a hair independent.  I'll listen to your way but I really need to hear a staunch, persuasive argument or I'm heading down my path!  I know..shocker!  I've loved raising my kids, I've loved my homes, I've been fortunate enough to not have to work outside the home and that has given me so many wonderful advantages.  I enjoyed my time on the school board, my volunteering on various political campaigns and being able to contribute to various community and school projects. I could spend time with homework, projects and extra curriculars.
This might be the best time of my life!  I can enjoy our new home (one of my best accomplishments.....ever!!!!.)  I have time to spend with my kids and Bailee, my birds, my books, my writing and I get to choose when, where and with whom!  It doesn't get much better than that.
I love my time in this hood and appreciate every single second. I remind myself daily NOT to take a minute for granted and to thank whomever might be responsible for my good fortune. I know 3 people who daily have a hand in my destined serendipity: God, my Dad and my Hubs.  It has taken me a while to appreciate the first as for nearly 1/2 a century I questioned his actions and even his existence. I never, for once questioned the others.  Life is Good in the Hood....


Ok, unless maybe you're Travon Martin.. a story for another day:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment