Friday, February 1, 2013

The Change....

I'm really not ready for "the change."  No, not that one....the change from by-products of trees to living in the "cloud!" I'm trying so gracefully (as best I can do graceful) to adapt to so many things in the past few years.  This week's death is sad.  I received my very last printed edition of Newsweek magazine and the local Post Standard is scaling back to printing a paper ..paper just 3 days a week. How will I know more than just headlines of what's happening in the world, USA, state or towns, how will I keep my mind exercised if I don't do the morning Jumble and who/what will keep me company in the bathroom?  I won't know the price of a barrel of oil, what Aries folks are supposed to look forward to or steer clear of each day, who died, went bankrupt or started a new business or if there's even the slightest chance I may make money on my Face Book stock and then there's my Sport's section.... On the other hand, I will be saving $3.00 as I seldom bought a Sunday edition unless it was just before Black Friday.
Change is difficult for old people!  Bailee explained that to me the other day.  I'm trying hard to adapt. I have a Kindle..actually I have two Kindles but I also have a sad library.  I really think my books have banded together during the nighttime and formed a literary sad face.  No one new has joined them in over a year.  I actually went to get a book for a friend and realized that I hadn't even purchased it in hardcover.  It was on my Kindle and floating in my "cloud" but was no longer...a book! Now I was sad:-(
I'm trying to change with the times. Necessity has pushed me a bit. I have been forced to file some business taxes online as well as pay for them directly from a bank account.  I literally thought I would throw up the first time I typed in my account numbers and lingered over the submit button for what seemed like hours....I think it actually was hours before I dared press it.
I think the saying "The more things change, the more they stay the same" is still true. The proverb makes the observation that turbulent changes do not affect reality on a deeper level other than to cement the status quo.  After all, a chair make look differently in 2013 than it did in 1813 but it's still a chair. I'm trying to convince myself that although a book's looks may be changing, it's still a book.  It will still enlighten me, challenge me, teach me and entertain me.  It may live in a different place but thankfully one of those places is my mind....Mind over matter.....If I can just get over the issue of having no issues......I will no longer mind and it will no longer matter....   (I'm just such an old dog!)

No comments:

Post a Comment