Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Honestly, Abe:-)


                                    Happy Birthday Abe !!

The 16th president of the United States was born on the morning of Sunday, February 12, 1809, in a one-room, 16x18-foot, log cabin with a dirt floor. Called Sinking Spring Farm, the land was situated near Hodgenville, Kentucky. Abe's father, Thomas, was a farmer and carpenter, and his mother, Nancy, was a seamstress. His sister, Sarah, was 2 at the time. Abraham was named after his paternal grandfather. A complete time line of Lincoln's life is posted at The History Place. In addition to his more famous achievements, Lincoln is the only U.S. president to have received a U.S. patent, for something he described in this way: "A new and improved manner of combining adjustable buoyant air chambers with a steamboat or other vessel for the purpose of enabling their draught of water to be readily lessened to enable them to pass over bars, or through shallow water, without discharging their cargoes." 

I'm anxiously waiting until the movie "Lincoln" is out on DVD.  There have been lots of Lincoln/Seward stories floating around locally since the movie's release.  One interesting tidbit is that Lincoln's wife, Mary, journeyed to Moravia for seances. I should have purchased a Ouija Board so we could celebrate in Abe and Mary fashion tonight.....(it's not too late) Once I finally see the movie, I think I'll journey to the Seward House in Auburn again.  I can't remember if I went with one of the kid's classes or if it was really 52 years ago when I was there last. It's sad that it's taken me 1/2 a century to appreciate history.  I'm going to try and make it fun for Bailee.....maybe we need to wear top hats and beards for supper tonight.... Afterall:


“ In the end, it’s not the years in your life that count.
It’s the life in your years.”
–Abraham Lincoln (1809–65)



No comments:

Post a Comment