Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Don't worry..Be happy!

It's never too late to be happy....really....What most of us would think is success is not even remotely close to what makes most of us happy. When we're in our 30's and 40's we're just trying to raise a family and keep up with our bills....we're not always happy even though we tell ourselves we are. Life is short and nobody gets out alive... A friend always says, "do it", you're dead a long time! We can all improve our happiness:

  • Where we choose to live is one of the biggest things that determines our happiness. Neighborhoods with sidewalks, meeting places, and other characteristics that nudge us to socialize tend to make us happy.
  • We can be much happier if we are financially secure...Less worry may mean less stuff! Unless it's a car or a house, if you can't pay for it.....you don't need it... (Thanks Buzz for that lesson.) The "thrill" of something new is short lived.The joy of security lasts forever!
  • A great morning!  A good night's sleep is a must but a great morning is mandatory.  Eating breakfast can boost your energy for the day and 30 minutes of exercise (any kind) gives you fuel for 12 hours.
  • Less TV time.... ( ok, scratch this article I'm referencing!!!!)  It says "The happiest people watch less than an hour of TV a day. Wow...it says pare down to one TV in an out of the way place... I guess mine, randomly spaced every 20 feet, is not what the Dr's ordered.  He explains that advertising and programming are designed to make us want things that make us feel unsatisfied with what we don't have.  Nope!  I'd be unsatisfied if I didn't have TV...It's a weakness I can live with!
  • Get a daily dose of friends...You betcha! "If you choose the right social network, bliss can be contagious."  Each happy friend that we connect with helps our happiness flourish by 9%...not 10 but 9...WTH.... but I think they're right!  Happy people make me happy and making people happy makes me happier.....That's a whole lot of self made happy!
  • Finding your soul mate helps.  Long term relationships suffer less stress, live longer and have fewer diseases...(please be right)  Marriage isn't always bliss...if it makes you happy...keep working on it..believe me it's always a work in progress.  If you're not happy and you've given it the old college try, move on....Life's short!
  • Meet. Pray, Love...lots of reasons why faith can make you happy. My stand is the old saying.."Being in a church doesn't make you a Christian any more than being in a garage makes you a car! I pray nightly, for me, for my family and for my friends.  I never forget to be thankful for all the good things too... I hate for him to think I was a needy, whining prayer!
  • Create a sunny escape..make a nook where you can do the things you love, read a book, play music, play a game and spend time with family.. Hello Culture Cottage.
  • Peace with a pet..  Owning a pet lowers your blood pressure and calms stress. Often pets relieve stress more than spouses or family. Makes perfect sense to me until they poop on the floor, pee in the car and puke in the kitchen. I have actually been contemplating a small pooch... One that can snuggle with me in my chair, ride with me in the car and travel with me in the motor home.  One that eats a little, poops outside and sheds minimally...I'm thinking maybe a teddy bear:-)
  • Tap into your compassion...Giving is good....and it really makes you feel good.  It has been proven that altruism (giving) stimulates the same pleasure areas of our brain in the same way as sugar and cocaine....Now there's some food for thought!  And...it doesn't have to be money you give. .. it can be volunteering, listening, sharing special times and just giving a little bit of you...
                                 When it comes right down to it... You can make you happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment