Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Bone Soup?

Well, if chicken soup can be good for the soul, why can't bone broth be good for the....you guessed it, bones!  One of my favorite go to periodicals is the Farmer's Almanac.  It tells me when the sun's coming up, how long the days are, when the full moon will rise and oodles of other practical, nonsensical and often hysterical information.  Today I learned that bone broth is hearty and oooooo so good for our old bones... and believe me, my bones are old...Lately I have aches and pains in my hands, my feet, my shoulders, my back and my ass.....Oh, the pain in my ass is actually better (he's in Florida!)  So Bone Broth looks like a pretty good remedy to lessen the pitfalls of old age.  We're meat eaters around here so bones are not in short supply.  We have a stove, two to be exact . We have water and vegetables are readily available.  Simple ingredients to be bone healthy and then we're actually using every single bit of our purchase or "slaughter"..whichever the case may be. Vitamins and minerals are water soluble and we lose so much when we boil vegetables and meats and just throw the water away.....but not with soup.  Those nutrients are the soup!!!These nutrients are returned to us in a simple, yummy, digestible way! These very same nutrients help build our cells and give us the ability to renew and heal all parts of us!!!

The recipe is easy:

Use a large pot or crock pot
Add bones. (chicken, turkey, beef, lamb...)
Add healthy vegetables including the greens.
Add a small piece of liver ( I know, but you won't taste it and it'll add a huge amount of vitamins and minerals)
A dash of white wine or vinegar will get the gelatin from the bones into the soup
Even add pan drippings
Fill with cold water and simmer..............................................................................
Cook on low for 48 hours   The longer it cooks, the more gelatin gets into it!
The soup will be dark and rich and full of healthy "bone fixer".
What you'd normally throw away

Just plain goodness

Yep, that's liver

Looks delish

Looks way better than medicine!!
Pour through a colander, add a dash of salt and if you wish to freeze it... pour through a strainer and keep the broth for next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment