Monday, June 11, 2012

It's the Principal of the thing:-)

Back to my favorite day of the week.  I had just finished opening the mail, folding the laundry and tending to Monday chores when the phone rang.  Just prior to that, I was  mentally going over a short list of topics for this morning's epistle.  Ding Ding Ding.... here you go.

Just to preface my story, almost every day, someone inquires about my Mom.  Thankfully, I can answer that in the grand scheme of things, she's great.  She's 90, has Alzheimer's and lives as if each minute is her own personal Groundhog's Day but she's "good!"  She sings, she smiles and she laughs....Life is good! (there are so many disconcerting affects of Alzheimer's that she's in fact stellar)  The phone rings and the caller ID flashes Groton Nursing Home. Always a little catch in my chest when I see it but so far no calls have been bad or sad.  This morning it's Julie (head nurse manager and old neighbor and friend) who is her usual cheery self. "Just thought I'd call and fill you in on Mom's activities yesterday." (so far, so good)   "She pulled the fire alarm............TWICE!" Being the twisted sister , or daughter as the case may be, laughter erupted...the snorting kind!  It seems the second time was at 8:50 last night and of course, there's protocol.... fire trucks, evacuating residents etc...It was also reported that the second time was accompanied by giggles.....from Mom. Julie did say that in her defense, it did say "Pull here!" After composing myself and apologizing, I did say that maybe they should put the alarms in plastic boxes or little wire cages so those that wander the halls aimlessly for hours, days and weeks aren't tempted.  Who would think I'd be defending my Mom for pranks.... I hope Dad's chuckling up there, the Groton Fire Dept. will forgive her and the Nursing Home Buildings and Grounds staff can rectify the temptation.  After all, what am I to do....send her to the Principal?

No comments:

Post a Comment