Thursday, June 7, 2012

If you need anything........

Here I am again..back on my soap box.  My kids say I'm up here a lot... They say I'm preaching. I say I'm teaching!  I guess once you're headed into that 7th decade priorities become a little different..even skewed maybe but all in the name of love.  We'd like our kids to learn from our mistakes and be ready for what's down the road.... and hopefully that road is very long!  We want to make our demise as easy as possible for them and for them to, in turn, do so for their kids.  I saw an article in the paper about everyone having a "legacy drawer."  In my case it's closer to a legacy cabinet."  There are 11 essential contents to your drawer.
1.  Cover letter           Just a simple letter letting everyone know what's in the drawer.
2.   Will                       A copy of your will and the name of your executor and the person who has your power of attorney*          (very important*)
3.   Financial Accounts  List anything in your name...bank account, credit cards, retirement accounts
4.   Funeral Plans       Your wishes, as simple or as eloquent as YOU'D like.... any pre-paid info and cemetery info. (You'll be hearing Beach Boy music at mine @ EIEIO)
5.   Insurance Policies All policies: health, vehicle, home, life, policy #'s and who's covered.. also the phone # to call is very helpful (been there, done that)
6.   Vital documents    Birth certificates, death certificates, deeds, titles, abstracts, military records, mortgages.....
7.    Legacy Letters      Personal notes and letters to loved ones.  This one is especially important to me.  I have letters from my Gr. Grandfather to my Dad, my Dad to my Mom and my Dad to my children and to me.  All irreplaceable and heartwarming♥
8.    Monthly budget     Just a list of what you pay out monthly to help your family tie up household expenses.
9.    Tax returns           In case of an audit, these can act as an insurance policy... 7 years is still sufficient.
10.   Safe deposit box  If you have one, indicate where it's located and who has access..keep a copy of the above cover letter inside...
11.   Passwords         Write down all passwords, usernames, PIN numbers and emails so your family can access computer, cellphone and financial accounts.  (If you have email folders such as "dysfunctional family", you may want to delete if you have a pain in your left shoulder radiating down your left arm and shortness of breath:-)

This can all be as painless or as complicated as you choose to make it.  I HATED talking about all of this with my Dad but how much easier it was when the time came. Ok there was some stress but that's all in my "DF" folder.  I think one of my favorite stories is about when Humphrey Bogart passed away.  In his urn of ashes sits a small, gold whistle. His loving wife, Lauren Bacall, had it engraved with the words she spoke to him in their first film together "To Have and Have Not.
                             "If you need anything, just whistle!"

                            Maybe I'll put a whistle in my legacy drawer!!




No comments:

Post a Comment