Friday, June 8, 2012

Empty Nest

Once again, we're suffering through empty nest syndrome.  This time our four fledgling robins have flown the coop... two yesterday and two this morning.  I have surmised that they went in pairs so Mom and Dad could each have a visual on one for their first flight and night on the town.  This morning the last one was perched on the transom window trying to deal with his fear of flying.  I had walked on to the porch to photograph # 3 working on his take offs and landings.  Mom and Dad were not happy with my proximity to # 4.  Dad randomly dive bombed me while Mom loudly ran her beak.  Finally the last flyer got up the courage and flew right over my head... thankfully it didn't scare the shit out of him or I'd have been the recipient. 










It's sad to see them go.  Another clue in our case of old age.  A year ago Lee would have shot most anything dressed in fur or feather.....Yesterday he wanted me to lay a perfectly good blanket on our concrete porch floor in case one of them fell out of the nest or was unsuccessful on his first flight..... REALLY?  At least I can now remove the nest and wash the windows.... my very last excuse has flown away.  My only hope is they get this flying thing down fast so I don't run over them with the lawn mower.  My eyesight isn't what it used to be and I've been known to run over a rock (or whatever) in lieu of climbing off and moving it.  We did get word today of a nest of turkey eggs that was in need of nurturing.....I'm hoping I don't see Lee drive in with an incubator...I'm afraid the attachment would be more than this  birdbrained Grandma could handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment