Tuesday, December 20, 2011

A favorite night!

Sunday night was one of our favorite Christmas events. Santa Claus comes to town!  Our local firemen and women do a jolly job on this event.  They string lights on the firetrucks, pipe holiday music through the public address system, hand out candy canes and this year collected for our local food pantry.  I still remember the first year when we ran to the top of the Lane and Santa called Bailee by name...I cried!  Her face will be forever etched in mind (God willing).  This year she kept saying, "I hope he remembers my name!". She even wished on a star hoping that would help. (She didn't tell us her wish...we just knew).  When he slowly wheeled by and hollered "Merry Christmas Bailee," it was magical... No smile has ever been wider....Again, "He remembered my name, he remembered my name!"  Back inside we went knowing he'd be back in a few minutes and actually turn down her street and go right by her house. She waited patiently by the window until she saw the flashing lights and heard the Christmas music.  She threw on her coat and hat, (her boots were still on) and out the door we flew!  Once again, "Merry Christmas Bailee!"  I managed to capture the smile and will forever remember her saying, "This is the best day of my whole life!!"



I wonder if those firemen and women have any idea what a few volunteer hours mean to all those boys and girls.............................and their Grandmas?

No comments:

Post a Comment