Monday, December 5, 2011

Dreamcatchers

Miss B has been having nightmares...really weird ones.... Girls trying to poke her eyes out with a fork, crabby creatures crawling on her.....who can sleep well through all that. Last night a friend of Jess's brought her a homemade dreamcatcher...it worked..A good night's sleep.....
I'd like a dreamcatcher too....although I tend to have good, albeit occasionally, strange dreams.  Last night's was extremely vivid. As you know, I enjoy writing (be it bad or good).  I was in an art appreciation class and was asked to write a paper on a particular painting. I can still see it! It was a bit abstract but had colors of reds, yellows and oranges.  I remember penning it through the eyes of a little boy named Liman, from Kosovo (??)  He called the painting "Undercover Skies".  He explained that he loved peeking from under a blanket at the night sky and imagining that it was filled with beautiful fireworks and celebration. It was not...it was volleys of gunfire and mortars.  He was very young, maybe Bailee's age but extremely articulate.  I woke up remembering words he had used, visuals he had seen and a very clear picture of this little boy with the huge brown eyes.  I often don't remember much about dreams but this one is still embedded in my head.  If I were a painter I could paint the picture. If I were a writer, I could write the words. I guess I'm really just a dreamer.. hoping that these visions of children living through wars will someday come to an end...and their bad dreams can be captured in  dreamcatchers too.

No comments:

Post a Comment