Monday, October 3, 2011

No Place Like Home


 
Saturday morning was the formal dedication of the new Millard Fillmore Elementary Gymnasium in honor of Lloyd VanNest. Lloyd was a Phys. Ed instructor and coach in Moravia for over 30 years.  He was also a neighbor and family friend.  Shirley, his widow, has been a dear friend of mine since my memories began.  We have campaigned, travelled and "exerted our public opinions" together for nearly 35 years. She taught me when to properly use effect and affect and that only living "objects lie down..all others lay down.  She taught me to always place myself second...(Shirley and I...not me and Shirley.)  She was always my "go-to" grammar gal!  Not slighting the dedication, it also facilitated Shirley coming home!  Since 1997, Shirley has lived in Boston. She sold her home in Locke and moved to be nearer her son Jeff and his family.  Jeff and Anne have 2 gifted and talented boys....both in the academic world and the sports world.  Andrew is a student at Harvard and is 7 feet tall....He comes from it naturally. Duncan is over 6 feet and graduated his high school with the highest cumulative average ever accomplished.  With the boys being off to college now, Shirley wanted to come home...... and that's just what she did... All of her family was on hand Saturday for the dedication and then spent time settling Shirley's apartment at Walden Place in Cortland....yep, the same place my Mom lives!  Already she's had visitors from Locke and Moravia and I think she will be one happy camper back here in New York State.  There really is No Place Like Home!

No comments:

Post a Comment