Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Another Full Moon

Wouldn't you know that for the past 4 nights we've had clear, perfect for star gazing, nights.  Tonight, when the full Hunter's Moon is upon us.....in roll those good ole NYS clouds. Near midmonth, on October 11, shines the full Hunter’s Moon, which follows autumn’s Harvest Moon.In pioneer days, after the vegetables were stored for the winter, it was time to go farther afield looking for wild game. Deer were fattening, and Native Americans and farmers sought a store of good venison for the cold winter days to come.Unlike the buffalo or the antelope, the white-tailed deer is estimated to be roughly as numerous today as it was when the Pilgrims joined the Native Americans on this continent.  Many of them live in the woods surrounding our home.  With the leaves falling quickly, I'm approaching my most favorite time of the year.  Soon, I'll be able to see into the woods and watch the deer (ok, not the antelope) play.  On nights with clear skies and a glowing moon, I can watch them descend the hills and head across the road for a midnight snack.  Unfortunately, a few don't always make the trip but there are plenty left.  Personally, I'm not an avid fan of hunting. I understand the concept and the reasoning behind diminishing the herds but they are such a beautiful animal it makes me sad. I probably married into the wrong family to be a deer lover but I put the "other side" of my brain into action during hunting season and remember that it brings Jeff home for a couple weeks......I still have a month to enjoy the beauty of fall before the gunshots interrupt my life @ EIEIO and wreck havoc on my sanity. What little is left.............

                                             

No comments:

Post a Comment