Monday, October 17, 2011

When did etiquette die?

Occasionally I find it necessary to hop up on my soapbox.  Each time it gets harder to make the step up and each time it seems (to me at least) that it's more important. Thank you has always been an important word for me but as we've been taught, (well at least some of us were) actions speak louder than words.  I was taught table manners, respect for my elders, and what I always thought was too much etiquette. It wasn't.... you were right Mom.  I taught my kids, from a very young age, the importance of thank you notes and showing appreciation for what was given to you and done for you.  Nobody has to buy you a gift..not even Grandma!  When nice things are done for you.....the nicest thing you can do after verbally saying thank you is sending a personal note.  I recently gave the gift of money to a friend and a gift card to a family member.  I'm quite sure each was appreciated but..............I'm not even positive the cash reached the recipient.....I would be if I had received a note.  I may be in the minority as I was raised by a writer.  I have a box of notes written to me by my Dad...that's something tangible I will always have.  Some were loving, some were scolding, some had "gift's"inserted with just a note..Love, Dad!  Of course, I was luckier than most as he was the consummate giver.  He gave us gifts on his birthday! 
It really doesn't take a gifted writer to write a thank you note.  Here are a few tips....
*  mention the gift
*  mention why you like it...it's soft, I love to read, pink is my favorite color, etc.
*  make the giver feel good
* write your note in a timely manner
* include a photo of you w/ your gift

* it doesn't need to be fancy or from a store...make your own.

It's making the effort. People really appreciate getting mail that's not a bill, for one thing, and just taking that extra bit of time to write a thank you note really means everything!

Bailee was given some "get better" (as she called them) gifts when she had her tonsils out.  She composed her Thank You to her classmates.  "Thank you for the get better book.  It worked!"  ....................................It doesn't get much better than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment