Monday, January 28, 2019

Gifts

Lately, I've been getting rid of stuff.  Some stuff is really good, some stuff is really old, some stuff is really kitschy and just plain junk.  It seems that every week Lee takes a box or two to the local thrift store.  Most of each donation is good...really good. I have recently sent leather briefcases, perfectly good electronics (with remotes) and even fairly expensive Christmas decor.  I sincerely hope someone knows and appreciates the value and enjoys my purged items. 

Sadly, some of these were gifts :-(  This reminds me how important it is to give caring, necessary, well-thought-out gifts to friends and family.  I think (hope) I have always done this.  I remember Lee getting a shirt one Christmas that was red and white striped and definitely came from a second-hand store. It would have made a wonderful "Where's Waldo" costume.  It was definitely the thought that (dis) counts....and there was little.  I do not re-gift and I do not thrift gift unless it still has the tag on it or it's a joke.. Actually, I seldom frequent second-hand shops unless I'm on a quest for an object and it's for something other than clothing!  On the other hand, antique and rummage joints are right up my alley...So I guess I'm a junk hypocrite! I can live with that!

But back to the gift angle.  I listen and watch for things that might be mentioned by friends and family.  Things that they enjoy or might not be able to afford or feel the need to purchase for themselves.  Lately, for my family, I like to contribute to something they might like to do as a family or enjoy by themselves.  This year I bought concert tickets for my grandgirls and tee shirts of the band. I gave a "scholarship" to preschool for my grandson in a cool frame where all of his artwork could be stored.  Jett and family now have gift cards to Diggerland where he can ride and "drive" all the big, real construction equipment.  Jeff has a golfing gift certificate and  Jess got working attire and shoes she couldn't afford.  I know all these things will be utilized and enjoyed and not stuck in a drawer or cupboard till they decide to purge too.

Friends are some of my favorites to gift.  They are truly appreciative and are great givers themselves. Recently everyone was chiding me for already purchasing a few gifts for Christmas 2019.. When I see it and I know it will be liked, I buy it.  Not only does it put me ahead of the game but it allows me to purchase nicer things throughout the year.  I can't really do that for my family as their likes and dislikes and wants and needs may change throughout the year but by August, I generally have several ideas for all of them. 

I think I really would have loved being a personal shopper.  I seldom hit the stores themselves just to randomly shop. I peruse online, compare prices and occasionally order and send to the box store for pick up.  It's not because I'm lazy (although my knees definitely are) but rather I might impulse shop and get something I don't really need....like chocolate! I think looking for just the right gift for just the right person is a gift in itself.  The only gift I know for certain that most will enjoy is my gift of gab.  I've been told by many that I have been blessed by that virtue (if you may.)  It's definitely one gift that few have returned and one that keeps on giving...😉

No comments:

Post a Comment