Wednesday, January 9, 2019

"Let" it Be!

I often enjoy reading the AARP magazine.  Let me be perfectly clear, I totally disagree with the majority, if not all, of their politics but if I want their supplemental health care, I must join and get the magazine and occasional perks!

They often have money saving articles for those of us in their senior years. The last advice tendered was some innovative ways to "live it up and keep costs down."  Obviously, their target audience is varied.  Here are a few of their suggestions.

  • Traveling in a motor home can be expensive.  Even a 20ft RV would set you back a minimum of $70K.  Unless you plan on living in it, those costs are bit prohibitive unless your ship came in!  They suggest you rent, don't buy!  Possibly an Internet search on RVshare or Outdoorsy can secure you an RV for a vacation for as little as $1300. a week..   Let it be!
  • If you enjoy camping (I'm a glamper) outdoors, on the ground gear could be $1000+.   Camp gear outfitters will rent you a tent, sleeping bags, cook stoves and more for $157 for three days. I actually know NO seniors that would enjoy either option. Let it be!?
  • Bird watching? Elephant watching? Neighbor peeping?  Why buy a telephoto camera lens or a drone for thousands when you can rent for $100-200. Let it be!
  • Here's my all-time favorite money-saving advice from the agricultural geniuses at AARP. "Your personal egg dispenser" WTF. "For really fresh eggs, rent chickens and a coop from sites such as Rent-A-Chicken (no shit....well you know what I mean) or RentACoop. For only about $240.................you'll get 2 egg-laying (well duh) hens, feed and gear for four weeks. You can expect about a dozen eggs a week. Or you could go to your local farmer's market and buy a dozen for $3.00.  Don't Let it be!

Obviously, I don't take advice very well..these could be some of the reasons why.  The motorhome option has crossed my mind as we've owned a few campers and a couple of motorhomes. Renting would be the way to see the USA and the grocery or market would be the way to get eggs...maybe not the freshest but at our age, old is OK.  I, on the other hand, would miss slipping in chicken shit. watching Herb chase the girls around the yard for a quickie and giving the girls those names I always wanted to name children..... Better run.....gotta go feed Shaniqua and the girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment