Tuesday, January 22, 2019

An urge to purge!

All of the sudden, I have an urge to purge... not physically, thank heaven but OBJECTively!  I'm sorting, filing and burning!

Yesterday, I got rid of every single duplicate checkbook I had..and there were lots....way back to 2007 and even a bit of bookwork from 2005... Decided that it was time to remove some leftover files of Dad's.  He's been gone 12 years and I can still hear him telling me why I should keep...pretty much everything. My broker sends monthly statements..Dad explained that they wouldn't be pre-hole-punched it they didn't intend me to keep them in a binder. Really Dad. get away from the typewriter and your used paper and pencil and step into the 21st century.  He never did and was completely happy right where he was.  I am now completely unhappy with all this stuff and it's headed to the burn barrel. I understand the need to keep some things for IRS purposes. I used to keep everything for 7 years.   I just had a nice chat with my broker who said I suggest you keep 3 years as some companies (and banks) tend to change their names through buyouts and the like.  The older you get, you may want to keep 5 years for Medicaid purposes. So, by tonight, everything in my den closet will be no older than 5 years old..... YAY ME!!! All has to be burned or shredded and shredding is a tedious job that seems archaic next to burning. So, if you see smoke signals coming from EIEIO during the next few days, you'll know it's my financial insecurities going up in a blaze of glory.

Now for purge # 2.  Books and magazines.  I have kept every HGTV magazine I ever purchased.... They'll all be gone soon and I'm fine with that.  I'm not so fine with parting with my books.  99% of the books I have read in the past 5 years have been enjoyed on my Kindle.  I can make the print bigger, take it with me anywhere and get my mail and Facebook on it.  It's a treasure!  I could actually have my books read to me if the need were to arise.  But, now my heartbreak...what to do with the books. Mind you these are not classics or national treasures but to me they are. Many are from my treasured authors. Sidney Sheldon was the first author to make me not want to put a book down.  I probably could reread these books and completely enjoy them over again.  I saw a photo the other day of a giant tree stump that some gal repurposed into a book lending spot.  Wouldn't that be wonderful....maybe the giant tree at the bottom of Oak Hill....just another pipe dream.  All "we'd" need is a corner of someplace that is always open.  Maybe the little building next to Jennings or a sliding window in the old firehouse. Maybe some shelves at Millstream. We just need bookshelves...somewhere!!  You could borrow a book, read it, return it and borrow another.  Books for kids, for Moms, for cooks and for Dads....Dads read too! I just don't want to give these books to Goodwill.  Something will come up.

Purge # 3.  Boxes....empty boxes. phone boxes, Kindle boxes, camera boxes. firestick boxes...just a lot of empty boxes... The label with possible serial numbers will be photographed and the boxes will be following the checkbooks to "The Barrel!"

If these 3 purges happen by the end of the weekend, it will have been a successful week. The double closet will be much lighter and I won't have had to stick my finger down my throat once! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment