Thursday, January 23, 2014

Is Face Book just a Fad?

Studies, studies and more studies. Someone is always studying something....which I guess is a good thing.  I read an article this morning with the headline:

Are you unfriending Facebook? Study predicts 80 percent of its user                                 base will bail by 2017!

I'm thinking it might be a typo and they really meant that 80% of its user base will need bail by 2017:-)
Facebook
The "studiers" that now predict this decline in usership likened it to any technological fad such as My Space.  I did use My Space at one time and I did jump ship and sail over to Face Book.  I would never have survived either walk on the plank without the help of my Captain of all things Internet related, Captain J. Brown.  The study did conclude that in order to reach the dire straights of such a huge decline, more than 317 million Face Bookers would have to hit the lifeboats each year until the 2017 mark.  That's "about the population of the United States"... While I'm not sure what percentage the Baby Boomers make of the US population, I can tell you that this minuscule percentage, me!" won't be jumping anytime soon.  Hell, I've just recently learned how to change my profile picture, block idiots and send short videos.  There's so much more to learn and so little time. 2017 may have only geriatric users by then and we may often be confused. My biggest fear is my brain confusing My Space and Face Book.  I'd hate to leave a social gathering and holler, "Catch you tonight on My Face!!!" 


"The bottom line is that now that grandma and grandpa are on Facebook, I don't see them moving to another social network anytime soon. Facebook certainly isn't 'cool' anymore, but stone-cold dead in three years? Nah, I don't think so. So long as there are old high-school buddies and aunt Flo who wants to share photos of her cat Mr. Nibbles, Facebook will do just fine."


No comments:

Post a Comment