Friday, January 17, 2014

Eagle eyes

Borrowed from Cornell Bird Photography contest
It's time to think about Millard and Abigail (the monikers some neighborhood kids gave "our" local pair!) I've been thinking about their nest and where they might have been hiding all winter and even where they sleep on these cold New York winter nights.  So I "googled" it!  There is so much knowledge out there that is literally at our fingertips. Every year I learn more about my feathered neighbors.
They didn't go anywhere and they often return to snooze in their nest or just close their beady little eyes on a high branch and catch a few winks..  Many folks have spotted them standing in fields or scavenging others' conquests.  Remember, they are a lazy bird that likes to poach what others have taken the time to track and subdue. They do go on their own fishing excursions but have no problems snitching a scaly bit of  seafood that might have been dropped on the beach.  Lee loves to provide a buffet of fillet of woodchuck for them in the spring and they're more than happy to accept the donation.  It makes for great photographic opportunities too.
Eagles do return to their nest for many years.  They'll use and re-"feather" their nests until they become aged and unstable.  When they build their nest, they "carve out" a center pouch deep and large enough for 2-3 eggs. It's so deep within the nest that that is why I have often thought they were not in residence.  After the eggs are laid in late March or early April, the Mom and Dad will take turns sitting on them while the other forages for food. In about 35-40 days, the first egg laid will hatch followed by the 2nd (and sometimes 3rd) hatching in the same time frame as they were laid.  Eagles mate for life and are very attentive parents although they occasionally may boot a chick from the nest if it's chances for survival are slim.  I'd say the landing might answer that question:-/  
As with last year, my bird-watching and photographic windows are best when the leaves have yet to pop out. I may have to move the duck blind down to my spot and turn on the little heater. Do they make outdoor recliners?  I'll bet they do!  Once it dries up a bit (or freezes up), I'll get out my trusty golf cart and resume "Operation Eagle Eye!"   I'll report on what I see, or don't see and any new flying or furry critters that might cross my path. I'm already eager for daylight saving time and the eagle watch to begin again.

No comments:

Post a Comment