Monday, November 4, 2013

The Birds and the Bees

I spent several hours over the week-end sorting through a huge tote of miscellaneous pictures, articles and memorabilia.  I squinted, smiled and sneezed a lot.  1900's dust is still dust!  I'm pretty sure that people from the early 1900's saved every single obituary that appeared in the newspaper.  I have my grandmother Hewitt's high school diploma that is riddled with holes, photos of horses, cows and a grand barn that still stands today (across from Tollgate Hill Road on Rt. 38) - (Edgemere Farm), beautiful photos of a wedding held on Grove Street back in the 20's, articles of fires in both Locke and Moravia and pictures and diagrams of the buildings that disappeared and even notebook diaries of my Grandma Tice's dating up to 3 days before she died at nearly 102.  There are articles and photos of Hewitt Brothers and the improvements that Fillmore Recreation developed over the years.  A proud and optimistic group that saw a golf course, bowling alley, ski lodge and more in their expansion of the Moravia and Locke area.
Sadly some photos have no dates or identifying markings. I even spent some time looking at photos with a magnifying glass.  This undoubtedly had something more to do with the quality of the pictures and much less to do with the advanced age of the viewer:-)
My Grandma Tice loved to doodle and I have many tiny drawings preserved on the back of envelopes, placemats, doilies and tablets.  The Louvre wouldn't be calling anytime soon!  She also liked to jot down various sayings and remarks and words of wisdom she had gathered.  This is one of my favorites:
  About birth control and the bees..........The bee is such a busy soul
                                                                He has no time for birth control
                                                                So that is why in times like these
                                                                There are so many sons of bee's :-)

                                                  And I'm lucky to have their pictures!!



No comments:

Post a Comment