Thursday, July 19, 2012

WOW

What a difference 37 years makes...  Long hair, strange attire, semi smile... and that's just ME. I remember the day well.  We'd have remembered it even better if Lee had had his way... He wanted to get married on his birthday (so he'd remember) but we just didn't think a wedding on a Thursday would work!!!  We had the simple ceremony on the point at Overbrook. Our attendants were Lee's brother Jon, his cousin Don, Don's wife Dawn and my sister (hey, we all make poor choices) and our two adorable flower girls, Jill and Mary Beth! The weather turned to a perfect 75 degrees with a slight breeze... That was a very good thing because rehearsal was never rehearsed inside!!  Dad had nearly run the well dry watering for a green lawn and we were going to be outside come hell or high Owasco!! Everyone enjoyed the shortness of our vows...especially the pontoon boat that had come in closely to spy and had lost power and drifted to shore. Hey, the more the merrier!! It was the very first marriage performed by newly ordained Reverend David Borthwick.  He had written a marriage ceremony for his thesis ( if that's what they write in minister school) and graciously allowed us to use it.  Other than "I will" (versus "I do"), that's all I remember. I'm sure there was something in there about rich and poor, long hair and short but I can't remember for sure and David can't put his hands on the paper.  No worries... we still vow to each other daily...."I promise if you fart once more, I'm moving you to another room" and "can you really find anything else to bitch about?"  Someone asked me this morning how many years?  I quickly replied, "21 wonderfully happy years...... the other 16..not so much). fortunately neither time frame was consecutive♥  After the ceremony at the lake, we partied at the club house at Fillmore Golf course.  During the festivities, I was summoned out the back door and kidnapped by the Nye boys and a few others. Next stop....Glenview Inn... a lovely spot for a reception.  Lee, too, had been abducted by the gals!  I did coerce my nappers to stop at my Grandpa's in Locke. He hadn't felt up to joining us..... When we arrived...in separate cars, he said, "I told your father it wouldn't last!"   Well Gramps, the joke's on you!

No comments:

Post a Comment