Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Short and Hot

"As the days begin to shorten
So the heat begins to scorch 'em."
-Almanac archives

Now there's a problem.... I like long, cool days... like I have any control over...well.... anything! Once June 21st rolled past, we began to lose precious moments of daylight... I like dusk at 9 p.m.! I really dislike dusk at 4 p.m.  I'm not really concerned with when daylight arrives in the morning. I usually awaken at the same time and give little thought to whether I begin my morning routine with the lights on or off.  I know that those who have to travel to their jobs have different ideas on sunny skies or darkness.  I can't imagine leaving for work in the dark and returning the same.....and being stuck inside for the duration of daylight.. No wonder so many people are so darned grumpy.  Lee suggests every year that I could gain that extra hour of daylight by traveling south... I do realize that it stays lighter longer the closer you get to the equator but it also gets hotter... Herein lies my original dilemma...light versus heat. Daylight Saving time should be year round.. the only people who benefit from changing back and forth are the battery companies who tout these 2 days as days to change your smoke/CO2 alarm batteries. That would be an extra hour of energy savings for most of us... I'm sure that would add up to big bucks and be a good campaign slogan for somebody. After all, you can never make too many campaign promises....and how awesome would that be to promise voters an extra hour of daylight.  "I see the light", "A light at the end of the tunnel", "Let there be light", I'll lighten your wallet...oops that won't work....but it was a good idea... at least one they could actually deliver!!

No comments:

Post a Comment