Monday, May 7, 2012

Success

As I received the news this morning that another of Jeff's good friends (and ours) has become a Dad, I began to think of many of  the 20 & 30 something crowd that we know. What an amazing group, all coming from small town America. We know Doctors and Dr's to be, Nurse Practitioners, Nurses, Homicide Detectives, NYS Troopers, Deputy Sheriffs, Engineers, Pharmacists, Teachers, Therapists, Counselors, Builders, Masons, Truck Drivers, Laborers, Bankers, Chefs and last but very much not least, Moms.  That's been my occupation for nearly 34 years and never once, ok maybe a once, have I regretted that I wasn't something else.  Because in all honesty and not to be flippant, I am all of those things that I listed.  Yes, even a homicide detective.  Several small animals have succumbed on my watch and I've had to track down the culprit.
This next generation will be OK!  I fret over the following one as I'm sure our parents did for us and generations ago did for them.  All they really need to know how to do is THINK!  If you're a thinker, you're a success!  Living in the moment is important (especially for us.. the newest crop of Senior Citizens (ouch, that hurt) but forward thinking is the answer.  My great grandfather taught that to his son, and he to his and my Dad to me.  Sure we could be hit by a texting teenager tomorrow but our ducks should be in a row and someone should be privy to where our ducks are and thankful that our nest is in order.  I think this next generation, well most of them anyway, will do that.  If the government could just back off a little, I think they'll be just fine. Success is lined with a bit of "suck" but they'll think their way through.
I'm so proud of the kids that filled our house with laughter, raced with Jeff, became lasting friends, celebrated birthdays and holidays with us and became successful...We'll be ok and so will they!

No comments:

Post a Comment