Tuesday, May 8, 2012

National Teacher Appreciation Week

You all know how I feel about teachers.. most of them anyway....In fact, if I didn't appreciate a couple...you probably knew that too.  I was blessed to have many wonderful teachers... Oddly enough, I remember and appreciate some elementary teachers more than some high school ones.  Maybe that's because I was more appreciative as a child and less so as a teenager..I am now at a stage in my life where many of my teachers have passed away and my teacher friends have retired and a new crop of educators are stimulating my granddaughter....I'm watching..very closely.  So far, so good! These fine people are with our children (and grandchildren) 7 hours a day, 5 days a week, 180 days a year...NO occupation holds so much responsibility. They are the keepers of our kids minds. Albert Einstein once said, "Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one learned in school." Scary stuff!  Are teachers underpaid? Probably... I know, they only work 180 days a year, have the entire summer off and get health insurance.  To most of us that sounds pretty darn good. I'm sure if you were to subtract their taxes, their student loans and just plain the costs of living...the end result wouldn't be so rosy.  I had a friend, a retired teacher, say just the other day, "Teachers aren't in it for the income, they're in it for the outcome!!"
Thank God!
             

No comments:

Post a Comment