Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Man's best friend?



If man's best friend is the dog, what's a woman's..or even a child's???  Well at EIEIO, a little girl's is a chicken!  We've had 18 of them since they were about a week old.  They were all pretty skittish from day one but they're getting little chicken personalities now..I know, I'm probably giving this way more thought than it deserves but chickens can be great pets too.. I've read about it and if it's printed, it must be so! Last night Bailee decided to get in the pen for awhile and bond....Brownie, the only fuzzy, brown chick was her favorite in the beginning... Now it's the fugliest...(try explaining to an inquisitive 5 year old what fugly means)  I said it's "fine" but it's ugly... That worked!  Anyway, Brownie's lost her favor and the only true, all white chick has taken to B... literally... It followed her everywhere last night and even allowed her to pick her up and snuggle.  She loves to have her head and neck rubbed...(the chicken not Bailee.)  I wish I could figure out how to get a video here...she kept remarking how much she loved chickens and wished she could sleep with her :-o  The "girls" have learned to take flight and are regularly trying to head north..literally. Luckily there's a covering on top which was installed to keep varmints out.....and now keeps the girls in. We still have a few months before they'll begin to lay. We're all hoping they live that long.  We're planning on constructing a new residence for them and maybe moving them across them across the creek.  Not that I don't like chicken shit in my yard and it is a wonderful fertilizer but we need to make room for the PHEASANTS...  I vetoed the peacocks after hearing their squawking, annoying yell.. After all, everything grows up and loses it's cuteness..... Everything except of course, my cute little chick, Bailee.

No comments:

Post a Comment